Cosmopolitan Arts presents
Leicester’s Chinese New Year Celebrations
Saturday 9th February, 11am – 4.00pm:
Family Chinese New Year Celebration
at New Walk Museum
Saturday 9th February, 5.20pm – 6pm:
Large-scale laser and light show performance
at New Market Square
CELEBRATE THE DAWNING OF THE YEAR OF THE EARTH PIG, WITH A RANGE OF EXCITING FREE EVENTS ACROSS THE CITY. INCLUDING TRADITIONAL CHINESE NEW YEAR PERFORMANCES, CULTURAL ARTS ACTIVITIES AND DAZZLING LIGHT AND LASER EXTRAVAGANZA.
The Chinese community will celebrate the New Year in style, to welcome the Year of the Pig. At New Walk Museum, Cosmopolitan Arts will host an impressive lineup in the Victorian Gallery, of traditional Chinese live music, dance, martial arts, lion and dragon dance and arts workshops.
In the evening there will be a fantastic dazzling light and laser performance, with specially created sound track and traditional dance.
There will also be a beautiful Chinese lantern display at the Clock Tower with traditional lion dance performances happening in the city throughout the day.
At New Walk Museum Leicester, activities will include:
World Arts Gallery
- – Storytelling and puppets from nationally renowned Ling Peng, a Nottingham based professional Chinese artist throughout the day. To compliment the launch: ‘Siam through the Lens of John Thomson 1865-66’ within Gallery 11
On stage in the Victorian Gallery:
- Euphoria, traditional Chinese band from China, who will perform live throughout the day.
- Performances by ITSWA throughout the day of the famous Lion Dance and martial arts displays
- Film screening of the documentary created about the Chinese community in Leicester, ‘Made in China’.
- Music performances, including Beijing Opera, Chinese choir and traditional dance performances, amongst many other exciting activities.
- There will be traditional performances: Jinghong, Changquan, Kungfu and Little Apple traditional dances, and a Hulusi Traditional Chinese Musical instrument performance. There will also be Taiji Fan, Taiji boxing, Qipao shows and also a rang of performances of Chinese pop songs.
- The Confucius Institute will be delivering series of free traditional Chinese crafts workshops including; calligraphy, paper cutting, Chinese traditional games, traditional costumes, and food. They will be joined by the local Chinese community who will also demonstrate traditional Chinese arts and crafts from a range of East Asian origins.
For the Evening Outdoor Performance at New Market Square, there will be a dazzling and spectacular large-scale laser and light show, with dance, with specially commissioned sound track created by Euphoria a group of professional musicians from the Midlands, world class DJ (DMC 2013) and music producer Jon 1st and DJ Pyskhomantus, bringing an East-meets-West flavour, this will be punctuated with a lion and dragon dance – created specially for the celebrations by Cosmopolitan Arts.
These vibrant family friendly events are all free entry, so come along to celebrate the Year of the Earth Pig with the East Asian community, and learn about their beautiful and fascinating culture – it promises to be a great day out.